Energy for the Environment & Well-being
The use of conventional kerosene lamps has significant adverse effects on the well-being of the users. During our field visits, we learned that asthma attacks could actually be triggered through the inhalation of toxic fumes generated by the burning of kerosene fuel. Another fact we observed is that there using open-flame lighting (e.g. kerosene, wax candle) lead to increased risks of fire since most of the houses where the indigenous peoples live are made up of light combustible materials. In the Philippines, fires caused by candles or kerosene lamps are very common.
Aside from the risks associated with health and safety, constant patronizing & burning of these fossil fuel-based lighting systems add up to the emission of greenhouse gasses that exacerbates climate change.
Through the use of renewable energy based lighting system such as LITD's Solar Home Lighting Systems, the risks of health, safety and environmental hazards are significantly lessened.